For the first class you’ll need to bring:
- Sewing machine in working order* (some homework may be required, having access to a sewing machine at home will help you keep on track)
- A sewing kit consisting of: two spools of good quality thread (white and black or blue), fabric scissors, sewing pins, a fabric marking pen (water soluble or chalk pencil), measuring tape and a ‘quick unpick” (A sewing kit can be purchased for $45. Please order a sewing kit here if required)
*We have machines available on a first come first served basis. They can be hired for $10 for the class duration – however, there is no charge for machine hire when you book this 4 week course.
Skill Level Beginner: You might not know anything about sewing, or maybe you are confident with threading and using a sewing machine, maybe you are able to stitch a straight seam, but are new to dressmaking, whatever beginner level you are at, let Karina tailor a 4 week course that suits your skill level.
Depending on what level you will be starting at (eg Absolute Beginner or Beginner) fabric & patterns for your projects is not included in the cost of this course. For Absolute Beginners, you will not need to bring any fabric to the first class. Karina will explain fabric and items needed going forward in the first class.
Skills taught (depending on your level)
- How to thread a machine & wind a bobbin
- Straight Stitching and Zig Zag
- How to find correct body measurements and how to choose the correct size to use, how to read a commercial pattern, pattern tracing and cutting, woven fabric characteristics.
- How to lay the pattern pieces on your fabric correctly
- Different ways to finish seams
- About darts and why we (sometimes) need to use them
- Bias Binding (making your own and applying to your garment)
- Top Stitching
- Finishing techniques – necklines & hems